Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ADD 24/7

At the end of last year I was elected as the new president for our league. Before I got nominated and decided I was going to run for president I knew this was going to be a tough job that was going to cost a lot of time....

Now we are up and running as a new board and the work load for the first few months has been quite heavy to say the least...
For all of you out there who have started a roller derby league (or probably any kind of new sporting league), you will understand the blood, sweat and tears it takes to get there...




Don't get me wrong in any way, I am not complaining about the work load or anything like that. I really just want to shed some light on the stage of development we are in as a league and my personal experience as league president.

This past month has just been filled with Derby.
Between practice twice (sometimes 3 times) a week, board meetings, committee meetings and struggling through our policy documents I also try to have a life somewhere in between! But I guess it's not a lie when people say derby is not a sport it's a lifestyle. Because it sure does take over your life!
Of course I am loving every minute of it. But it sure takes a lot of time and hard work.

This week has been back to back filled with derby. We are currently trying to describe our complete league structure and setting up guidelines, rules, etc. And it's awesome on the one hand, because you know while we are doing this, that it will benefit our league, but on the other hand it's hard sometimes to keep everybody in sink and happy.

It does make me very happy to see that our brand new board has been working so hard and are still (mostly) happy at the same time! :)
We have all got our qualities and I really think we are using them to the fullest. Which makes me proud.

This Sunday we have our first General members meeting under this new board. And all our fresh meat will be there too! I am excited. I hope we will be able to get everybody into committees that will fit their qualities and interest. It's all about motivation I guess. Luckily our newbies seem very motivated!!







Next weekend we are off to Berlin (again!).
This time for the second EROC (European Rollerderby Organizational Conference). I am excited about it. Because of so many reasons really.
First of all, we'll see and meet so many European roller derby people again, which is always just awesome!!! But also because of the program they set up. There are sooooo many things we still need to learn about running and organizing a league, teams, bouts, etc.
There are even 'country' meetings being organized. So the Netherlands will have a meeting too, at least with the four leagues that will be represented at EROC.
It looks like it will be a very informative weekend with of course a lot of Derby fun added to it as well. :)

Well that's it for now. I will officially take a night off of Roller Derby now, never thought I would say that, but man do I need it! :p

- Furrrocious

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of my blog!