Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hotter then hell....

Last saturday I arrived in the USA to visit family in Texas. One of the things I did this last week was I went to a roller rink to skate! It's funny how we are not used to having these in the Netherlands (except for the one in Eindhoven..).
It was great skating around in the rink, but pretty soon after I got there, a lot of kids showed up, and I couldnt really skate fast or anything like that. But I started helping this little boy that was on skates for the first time, and skated backwards the whole time, so it ended up still being a good practice! :) 

Today I went to Lawton Oklahoma, to skate with Lawton Roller Girls - 580 Roller girls. 
No you have to understand, it's hot in Texas and Oklahoma, like 100/105, which is around 40/45 degrees celsius!! In Holland it will get up to 30 degrees every once and a while! So you can understand that for me, coming from Holland, I was NOT used to this heat. 
And after the warm up drill I almost passed out. Everything was turning black in front of my eyes and I was feeling sick. I sat down and one of the girls made sure that I got a ice pack to cool down and gave me a drink. By that time I all ready drunk about 3 liters of water. But I was losing more fluids sweating then I could drink water.

About 20 min after I felt like passing out, I was able to get back on the track and continue skating. I was happy I was able to, cause I was afraid I was going to have to stop totally, and that would have really sucked. 

The Lawton Roller girls are super awesome sweet girls!! I cannot wait to get out there again next week and skate with them.

I was a great lesson today, hydration is not a thing to take for granted!!! 

Now I need to get some sleep, cause tomorrow I am off to Austin to go to the Austin vs Denver bout on saturday. I cannot wait. This trip is just amazing!! :) 

1 comment:

  1. oooh Austin vs. Denver! How cool is that! I'm so happy for you, girl! Remember to drink the water 1 day before the practice, it helps :) and drink salty water if you can (soda?).. muchos love from Finland!

    <3 Tigre

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of my blog!