Friday, June 28, 2013

East Coast Derby Extravaganza - DAY 1


Oh boy, oh boy, where to start...
Day 1 of ECDX, is the "easy day". Bouts don't start until 6 pm and there are only 2 rinks in use and 4 bouts in total. 
Which seems like not too much if you realize there are 50 in 3 days!
However I found it was not an "easy" day at all! There were a few really intense bouts this first evening at ECDX. The one sticking out was the bout between the two men's teams; New York Shock Exchange and Mass Maelstrom. These two teams were ranked #3 and #6 in the MRDA rankings and was promising to be a very exciting bout. And boy oh boy oh boy it was! 
NYSE warming up

This bout was an absolute nail biter. At first it looked like NYSE would dominate, but maelstrom would not let NYSE conquer without a fight. And what a fight it was. It was epic. I saw amazing agility and hard intense hits. I loved every minute of it. 

NYSE won by 12 points


Another thing that was very exciting and overwhelming some times was the amount of awesome people. :)
I met up with Georgia, Beater and Mark from Montreal who visited Amsterdam almost 2 years ago. It was so good to see them again. And I cannot wait to see the New Skids play tomorrow and cheer for Tush! 

The other bout that was very exciting to see live, was the bout between Gotham and Texas. There are so many "derby legends" (or hero's if you like) in these teams. And watching them play in real life is pretty mind blowing. 
Again there was some really amazing skating, super agile jammers, tough blockers, great technical game play. Loved it. Gotham dominated the first half, the second half Texas came back, getting lead the first four jams of the period. But Gotham, the great team they are, did not let Texas get ahead much and blew them away. Although Texas kept fighting till the end, and because of both the teams amazing game play it was not a boring game at all. 

The unofficial final. Gotham takes the win


This was a good day and I cannot wait till tomorrow. Cause tomorrow I'll be watching some amazing derby, with awesome people. I'll be playing at least one challenge bout myself and I'm sure I'll be joining the pool party. :)
On to day 2....


- Furrrocious 


1 comment:

  1. I'll bet it was exciting! And, fantastic to be able to meet up with "old" friends from other teams. That's one of the things that I think is so amazing about Derby - the team spirit among ALL! Great! Do your best today, Furrr; I know you will! But, have a wonderful time doing it as well! GO GIRL!! Love ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of my blog!