Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Party! Party! Party! BLOCK PARTY!

Last night I was lucky enough to attend a Philly Rollergirls league practice.
First of all, coming from a little league in Europe it is pretty awesome when you get to skate with a league like the PRG. There are some really amazing skaters on PRG. Several of which play in a little team called team USA. 
I'm sure that people who skate with such "derby famous" and just all round amazing skaters it might not be such a big deal. Cause I'm sure it becomes "normal" at some point. But again, coming from a league in a country that never heard about roller derby 4 years ago, it's a pretty big deal when you get to skate with people that have over 9 years experience. 


When I arrived at practice I heard that they changed some stuff around and there would be 1 hour of drills and a 2 hour scrimmage. Normally they don't have visitors participate in scrimmages, but because this change was made last minute, they would make an exception.
I was super stoked and quite scared at the same time. But especially stoked! 

I was glad to see some familiar faces when I was warming up. Damage Dahl visited the Amsterdam Derby Dames about 2 years ago. And it was good to see her again. 
Also a new friend, Wendy Whiplash, was there and I was happy to see both of them. 

The first hour of drills was ran by Diva, a very experienced skater, who also happens to skate for team USA. 
It was great to work on backwards blocking for an hour. And I learned some new stuff that I'll be able to bring back to my league. 

After the hour of drills the 30+ girls there split up in the three travel teams that PRG has; The Liberty Bells, Independence Dolls and Block Party. 
I was able to join the Block Party. 
All three teams scrimmage against each other, so by playing with the Block Party we were up against The Liberty Bells and the Independence Dolls. It was such a great experience to scrimmage against such experienced skaters. 
Here I am on the line as a jammer. 
I jammed several times and even got lead jammer once. :)
It was really fun to play with the Block Party, we rocked it. 
Me and the Block Party.


I'm so grateful to get the change to skate with and against the Philly Roller Girls. It was a great experience. 
I sure hope I get to skate with them again this weekend at ECDX. 



1 comment:

  1. WOW! Furrr...Jennifer...this is SOOO AWESOME! First of all, I am SO happy for you that you were able to experience this..and, secondly, I am extremely proud of you! Fantastic! All I can say is, ENJOY, ENJOY & LEARN, but ENJOY! This is a once-in-a-life-time experience! :) <3

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of my blog!